Window Man Logo Window Man Contact us:
Toll Free: (866) 888-8977
Home About Us Contact Us Products FAQ Price List

Glossary of Terms.

[A] [B] [C] [D] [E] [F] [G] [H] [I] [J] [K] [L] [M] [N] [O] [P] [Q] [R] [S] [T] [U] [V] [W] [X] [Y] [Z]
Air Chambersb
Small honeycomb spaces within the sash and frame which help to insulate and strengthen the window.
Air & Water Infiltration
The amount of air and water that passes between a window sash and frame. In windows it is measured in terms of cubic feet or air per minute, per square foot of area. The lower the number, the less air the window lets pass through.
Air Latch
Latch mechanism on the interior face of the sash that retains the window in a partially open position for ventilation.
Angled Exterior
A sloped extension from the frame that adds an aesthetically-pleasing dimension to the exterior of the window.
Argon Gas
An odorless, colorless, tasteless, non-toxic gas, six times denser than air. It is used to replace air between the glass panes to reduce thermal transfer.
The center member of a double door, which is attached to the fixed or inactive door panel.
Awning Window (AW)
A top-hinged window that can be cranked open from the bottom, swinging outward for ventilation.
Balance System
Device for holding a vertically sliding sash in any desired position as a means of counterbalancing the weight of the sash during opening and closing.
Bay Window
A combination of three windows that project out from the wall of the home, joined at 30 or 45 degree angles.
A machine angle other than a right angle. 2 bevel is equal to a 1/8 inch drop in a 2 inch span (1mm in 16mm).
Beveled Exterior
An angled extension from the frame that adds an aesthetically-pleasing dimension to the exterior of the window.
The dimension by which the edge of a glass product is engaged into the glazing channel.
Bow Window
A combination of four or more windows that project out from the home, joined at a 10-degree angle.
Brick Mould
An exterior (milled) trim piece to cover the gap between the window / door frame and masonry in a masonry opening or in other siding. In addition to serving as an anchor point for installation of the unit, brick mould provides a boundary for brick or other siding material on the face of the building and attachment of hardware (sometimes called shake mould).
Bronze-Tint Glass
Glass tinted with a light bronze coloring used to reduce the amount of light transmitted through the pane.
A jamb stud or header; wood buck. Rough framework to which a window or door is installed.
Buck Opening
The opening in a wall formed by the rough framing members; also known as a stud opening.
A rubber material that seals the glass to the spacer, creating an airtight and water-tight IG unit. Butyl has the lowest gas permeability of all rubbers.
CA 1 (Width, Height) L
A one section casement window of the specified width and height. As seen from outside of the house L indicates an operating sash hinged on the left.
CA 1 (Width, Height) R
A one section casement window of the specified width and height. As seen from outside of the house R indicates an operating sash hinged on the right.
CA 2 (Width, Height) LF
A two section casement window of the specified width and height. As seen from outside of the house LF indicates that the left sash is operating while the right sash is fixed.
CA 2 (Width, Height) FR
A two section casement window of the specified width and height. As seen from outside of the house FR indicates that the left sash is fixed while the right sash is operating.
CA 3 (Width, Height) LFF
A three section casement window of the specified width and height. As seen from outside of the house LFF indicates that the first left sash is operating while the other two sashes are fixed.
CA 3 (Width, Height) FFR
A three section casement window of the specified width and height. As seen from outside of the house FFR indicates that the first two left sash are fixed while the right sash is operating.
CA 3 (Width, Height) LFR
A three section casement window of the specified width and height. As seen from outside of the house LFR indicates that (from left to right) the first and the last sashes are operating while the center sash is fixed.
Cam Lock and Keeper
The mechanism that pulls the sash together when placed in the locked position.
Grooved, usually H-shaped, rod of cast lead used, as in stained glass, to hold the panes or pieces of glass together.
Cosmetic covering, usually found on the exterior of the window or door to achieve aesthetic sight lines or to integrate the window or door system into the building surface or weatherproofing system.
Capillary Tubes
Small hollow tubes which penetrate the spacer system of an insulating glass unit. They allow pressure equalization between the sealed unit and the exterior. Since the glass unit is not permanently sealed, the air space cannot be filled with Argon gas.
Casement Window
A window hinged along either vertical edge and open out from the side opposite to the side that is hinged, providing ventilation as required.
(Trim): Exposed molding or framing around a window or door, on either the inside or outside, to cover the space between the window frame or jamb and the wall.
To seal cracks and joints around window and door frames to prevent air and air infiltration.
A mastic compound for filling joints and sealing cracks to prevent air and water infiltration, commonly made of silicone, bituminous, acrylic, or rubber-based material.
Center of Glass U- and R-values
The U- and R-values measured from the center of the glass to 2-1/2" from the frame.
Circle Top Transom
A half-circle non operating window over a door or window, with or without radiating bars.
Circle Top Window
A window having a curved (radius) top and a flat bottom. The shape of the window is an exact half-circle with the height being exactly one-half of the width. Also called a circle head, half-circle or a half-round.
A generic term referring to any of a variety of window units with one or more curved frame members, often used over another window or door opening.
Any material locked to the outside faces of doors and windows (exterior skin) to provide a durable, low-maintenance exterior surface.
Cohesive Failure
The splitting and opening of a sealant/compound within its body, resulting in air and water infiltration.
Excess humidity manifesting itself in the form of a thin film of water on a cold surface.
Condensation Resistance Factor
A measure of the effectiveness of a window or glazing system to reduce the potential for condensation. The higher the condensation resistance factor, the more efficient the window and glazing system.
Transmission of energy (heat and cold) through a solid material by direct contact.
Heat transfer by currents that flow from a warm surface to a colder one.
Insulating material used in doors.
Coved Exterior
An arced extension from the frame that adds an aesthetically-pleasing dimension to the exterior of the window.
Cripple Stud
The short stud above or below a window or door opening. 2" x 4" members used to frame under the sill or above the header in a rough opening for a window in a frame wall.
Curing Agent
One part of a two-part sealant that, when added to the base material, causes it to vulcanize by chemical reaction.
An exterior building wall which carries no roof or floor loads and consists entirely or principally of vinyl or a combination of vinyl, glass, and other surfacing materials supported by metal or wood framework.
Dead-air space
The space between the panes of glass of a sealed unit.
A piece of glass or IGU with a sash profile around it; not set within the main frame of a window unit.
A drying agent (similar to silica gel) used in insulating glass to absorb water vapour in order to prevent fogging.
Divided Lite
A window with a number of smaller panes of glass separated and held in place by muntins.
Door Jamb
The part of a door frame which surrounds and contacts the edges of the stiles and top rail of a door; jambs may be classified as (1) "head or "side" jambs and (2) "plain" or "rabbeted".
Door Skin
Sheet of material (wood, steel, fiberglass, PVC, etc.) that forms the exterior faces of the door.
Door Slab
A door without lites or sweep installed.
A space which protrudes from the roof of a house, usually including one or more windows.
Double Glazed Units
Units consisting of two lites of glass and one air space in between.
Double Glazing
In general, two glasses separated by an air space within an opening to improve insulation against heat transfer and/or sound transmission. In factory-made double glazing units, the air between the glass sheets is thoroughly dried and the space is sealed airtight, eliminating possible condensation and providing superior insulating properties.
Double Hung Window
A window that has two operable sash which slide vertically.
Double-strength Glass
Glass with a thickness of approximately 1/8".
Dry glazing
An alternative method of placing glass in a door or window. No glazing mastic is used. Dry glazing is recommended whenever reflective coatings are glazed to the first surface.
A material that has two or more levels of flexibility. An example is the weather stripping used between the frame and sash of a casement window.
Edge Effects
Two-dimensional heat transfer at the edge of a glazing unit due to the thermal properties of spacers and sealants.
The finishing or shaping of the edge surfaces of glass. This process is usually done with an abrasive wheel in the grinding process.
Literally, an exit (a means of exit). Actual opening size determined by local building codes.
Egress Code
The code that requires a minimum opening of a window for persons to exit or for firefighters to enter.
Egress Window
A window with minimum clear opening size as required by the local building code, to allow occupants to escape through the window in case of a fire.
To emit is to give out, to discharge. In the case of glass, essentially, to reradiate absorbed energy (heat). Emittance is the ratio of the total radiant energy emitted by a given surface to that emitted by an ideal black body at the same temperature.
ENERGY STAR® is an independent U.S. government program establishing a standard set of guidelines to recognize the energy efficiency of various products. ENERGY STAR® guidelines are used in conjunction with a variety of building materials, including windows and patio doors. Over the past ten years, ENERGY STAR® guidelines have helped double the efficiency of the windows they endorse.
Entrance Door
A door on the front entrance of a structure; also known as a "front" or "main" entrance door; may be single or in pairs.
Exact Window Size
The dimensions of a window or door unit measured along the outside of the frame.
Extension Jambs
Flat parts made of vinyl, wood or other materials which are attached to the inside edges of a window jamb to extend it in width to adapt to a thicker wall.
Exterior Stop
The removable glazing bead that holds the glass or panel in place when it is on the exterior side of the light or panel, in contrast to an interior stop located on the interior side of the glass.
The process of shaping aluminum or vinyl by forcing it through a die to produce continuous strips of material formed to a specific shape or profile. The material is forced through a die which has been cut to match the desired profile. As the material is extruded through the die, it is cut to the desired length and allowed to cool. This process is very common in creating frame and sash materials, as well as glass insulating spacers and glazing sealers.
Extruded screen frame
Different from a Rollformed frame, this frame is pressed through a form or die.
Eyebrow Window
Arch-topped or radius-topped windows that have a curved top like the shape of a human eyebrow.
Failed IG Unit
An insulated glass unit failure exhibits permanent material obstruction of vision through the unit due to the accumulation of dust, moisture or film on the internal surface of the glass. Surface numbers two and three in double-glazed units are the affected surfaces.
False Panel (FP)
Gives the effect of a window but not a real window. Normally used by architects for adding aesthetic beauty to the house. False Panels can be made in a variety of shapes and sizes.
An architectural term referring to the arrangement of windows in a wall. From the Latin word, "fenestra," meaning window.
Finger Joint
A method of joining wood parts end to end by machining a series of finger-like grooves in their ends. As they are interlocked, the ends are machined to form a set of interlocking fingers, which are then coated with adhesive and meshed together under pressure.
Fire Rated Doors
A door which has been constructed in such a manner that when installed in an assembly and tested will pass ASTM E-152 "Fire Test Of Door Assemblies," and can be rated as resisting fire for 20 minutes, 30 minutes, 45 minutes (C), 1 hour (B), or 1-1/2 hours (B). The door must be tested and carry an identifying label from a qualified testing and inspection agency.
Fixed Panel
An inoperable panel of a sliding glass door or slider window.
The designation given to units that flank a center picture unit in a double or triple combination window.
Sheet material that protects and bridges the joint between the window or door frame members and the adjacent construction for the purpose of preventing water penetration by draining water away from the window or door to the exterior. See also Through-wall flashing.
Flat Casting
An exterior trim alternative to brick mould. This stock does not have a profile but is simply surfaced flat on four sides.
Flat Glass
All types of glass (rolled, float, plate, etc.) produced in a flat form, regardless of the method of production.
Float Glass
Glass formed by a process of floating the material on a bed of molten metal. It produces a high-optical-quality glass with parallel surfaces, without polishing and grinding.
Foam Spacer
Foam material placed in the airspace of the insulating glass in a window to enhance the appearance and improve the performance of the window.
The enclosure in which the window sash or door panels are mounted.
Frame Dimension
Measurement from outside of side jamb to outside of side jamb or from outside of head jamb to outside of sill (bottom jamb).
Full Screen
A screen which covers the entire opening of a window.
The process of heating mitered corners to 2008ºF and bringing the heated corners into contact until they fuse together into a single piece of vinyl.
Gass Filled Units
Insulating glass units with a gas other than air (usually an inert gas such as argon) in the airspace between the panes. This is done to decrease the unit's thermal conductivity (U-value) and increase the unit's sound insulating value.
A pliable, flexible continuous strip of material used to affect a watertight seal between the sash and the frame of roof windows much like the seal around a refrigerator door.
Specially designed windows classified as either Straight line Geometries such as rectangles, triangles, trapezoid, octagons, pentagons, etc., or Radius Geometries which include half-rounds, quarter-rounds, full-rounds, sectors, ellipses, eyebrows, etc.
An inorganic transparent material composed of sand (silica), soda (sodium bicarbonate), and lime (calcium carbonate) with small quantities of alumina, boric or magnesia oxides. Available Styles: Clear, Bronze, Grey and Tinted.
Glass Size
Actual Glass size, not merely that which is visible.
Glazed Sash
A sash in which the glass has been installed.
The process of sealing the glass to the sash.
Glazing Bead
A strip of vinyl applied to the edge of the glass that holds it in place in conjunction with other sealants.
Glazing Stop
The part of the sash or door panel which holds the glass in place.
Decorative horizontal or vertical bars installed between the glass panes to create the appearance of the sash being dividing into smaller lites of glass
Half Screen
A screen which does not cover the entire opening of a window. Used on the bottom half of single hung units and on the operating sash of single sliders.
The horizontal top portion of a window or door frame.
Head expander
An individual U-channel installation accessory that may be fitted to the head of a replacement window to accommodate differences between rough opening and window heights.
Head Jamb
Also called "header" or "head": Cross or horizontal jamb member forming the top of the frame.
Head Track
The track provided at the head of a sliding glass door. Also, the head member incorporating the track.
A horizontal framing member placed over the rough opening of a window to prevent the weight of the wall or roof from resting on the window frame.
A movable joint enabling a window or door to swing open.
Hinge Mortise
The area cut away to accept the hinge leaf for mounting on the door frame or door edge.
Hollow Extrusion
A tubular extrusion having enclosed cavities within it.
Hook accessory
Accessories that snap to the hook frame and provide easy installation.
Horizontal Slider
A window with movable panes that slide horizontally.
Hung Window Single (SH)
A window in which one operable sash move up and down.
Hung Window Double (DH)
A window in which one operable sash move up and down.
I.G. Unit (Insulating Glass Unit)
Two or more lites of glass separated by a spacer and hermetically sealed at the glass edges.
Leakage of air and water into or outside the house, through cracks around the sash or the window frame.
Installation Fin or Flange
A vinyl or metal flange inserted into or an integral part of the side and head jambs of a window unit which is used for installing it in an opening. It also affords a weather seal or flashing around the perimeter of the window frame.
Installation Holes
Holes in window or door frames that are fabricated by the manufacturer to locate and accommodate installation of fasteners.
A design feature which enables sash to engage one another when closed.
Internal Grills
Grids mounted between the two panes of glass of an insulated glass unit.
Integral extension on the outside of a new construction window that eases installation on siding applications.
Vertical sections of the door and window frame.
The part of a window lock, mounted on an opposing surface of the window, that the lock arm locks under or into to pull the sash into a locked position and fully releases it when opened.
Keeper Rail
The horizontal section of the sash on which the keeper is mounted.
Keeper Stile
The vertical section of the sash where the keeper is attached.
King Stud
The full length stud next to a door or window opening to which the trimmer and lintel are nailed.
Knocked Down
Not assembled; parts for a window (or door) frame pre-manufactured for assembly at a later date on the job-site.
Krypton Gas
An inert, odorless, colorless, tasteless, non-toxic gas which is about 12 times more dense than air. It is used to replace air between the glass panes to reduce temperature transfer and deter convection. Used when a higher performance is desired than that produced with Argon gas.
Laminated Glass
Two or more pieces of glass bonded together over a plastic interlayer.
Lift Handle
A handhold for raising and lowering the sash. Handle implies that the handhold is not continuous across the sash.
Lift Rail
A handhold for raising and lowering the sash. Rail implies that the handhold is continuous across the sash.
A unit of glass in a window or door.
Lineal Footage
A dimension expressing length (in feet) only. For example, the width of a unit (in inches) plus the height (in inches) x 2 divided by 12 = the perimeter measurement of the unit in lineal feet.
A horizontal member above a window or door opening that supports the structure above.
Live Load
Load force due to the weight of non-permanent attachments; people, glazing rigs, washing rigs, etc.
Lock Rail
The horizontal section of the sash where the cam lock is mounted.
Lock Stile
The vertical section of the sash where the cam lock is mounted.
Low E (Emissivity) Glass
Glass with a transparent metallic oxide coating applied onto or into a glass surface. The coating allows short-wave energy to pass through but reflects long-wave infrared energy which improves the U-value.
Main Frame
The head, sill and jambs sections of a window.
Masonry Opening
The space in a masonry wall left open for windows or door.
Mechanically Fastened Frame
Refers to window and door frames fastened with screws.
Meeting Rail
The horizontal sections of a pair of sash that meet when the sash are closed.
Meeting Stile
The vertical section of a pair of sash that meet when the sash are closed.
Fabric made of fiberglass used in the making of screens.
Miter Joint
The space in a masonry wall left open for windows.
A vertical or horizontal connecting unit between two or more windows.
Multi-Point Locking
A term used for locking hardware that engages a window sash to the frame at multiple locations with a single throw of an operator.
Applies to any short or light bar, either vertical or horizontal, used to separate glass in a sash into multiple lites. Also called a windowpane divider or a grill.
Nailing Fin
An extrusion attached to the main frame of a window used to secure the unit to the rough opening.
Night Latch
A hardware which, when extended, restricts the sash opening to a predetermined dimension.
Obscure Glass
Glass that has been made translucent instead of transparent.
Operable window
A window that can be operated for ventilation.
Operating Panel
In a two panel window or door the panel that swings or slides open.
Crank-operated device for opening and closing casement windows.
A window with the meeting rail located off center of the frame. Most oriels have a 60/40 configuration.
Outside Casing
Trim or molding around a window or door on the exterior of the house. Casing usually refers to a flat board trim, typically, 3" or 4" in width.
Outside Measurement
The dimensions of the rough opening.
Palladian Window
A large, arch-top window flanked by smaller windows on each side.
One of the compartments of a door or window consisting of a single sheet of glass in a frame. Also, a sheet of glass.
A major component of a sliding glass door, consisting of a lite of glass in a frame installed within the main (or outer) frame of the door. A panel may be sliding or fixed.
Partial Window Replacement
The installation of a replacement window where some component of the previously-installed window frame will remain.
Patio door
A glass door that slides open and close on adjustable tandem rollers. Available in 2, 3 and 4 section configurations with the operable panel available in any position.
Picture Window (FX)
A window that does not open (no moveable sash).
Pivot Bar
A metal post attached to a moving sash and seated in a balance shoe that allows the window sash to tilt.
Pull Handle
A handhold for sliding the sash back and forth. Handle implies that the handhold is not continuous across the sash.
Pull rail
A handhold for sliding the sash back and forth. Rail implies that the handhold is continuous across the sash.
Pull Stile
A handhold for sliding the sash back and forth. Stile implies that the handhold is continuous across the sash.
An extruded or molded plastic material used for window framing.
Quarter Round Window
Stationary or operating window shaped as a quarter circle.
The resistance that a material has to heat flow. The higher the R-value, the greater the resistance. The heat loss by windows is expressed with U-values, or U-factors. U-values are the mathematical inverse of R-values. So an R-value of 2 equals a U-value of 1/2, or 0.5. Unlike R-values, lower U-value indicates higher insulating value.
Wave energy transmitted directly from one object to another through the atmosphere or through transparent or translucent materials. The energy radiated is either transmitted, absorbed, reflected or a combination of all three.
The top and bottom horizontal sections of the sash.
Raised Exterior
An angled extension from the frame that adds an aesthetically pleasing dimension to the exterior of the window.
Relative Humidity Condensation Point
The relative humidity level at which visible water vapour or other liquid vapour begins to form on a cold surface. If the temperature changes but no water vapour is added or taken away, then the relative humidity will also change and will increase as the temperature falls. The relative humidity will continue to rise with falling temperature until the dew-point is reached that is, the temperature at which the relative humidity becomes 100 percent.
Changing an existing structure.
Replacement Window
A window that is designed for and subsequently installed after the removal of all or part of a previously-installed window.
Adding or replacing items not provided at the time of original construction. Typical retrofit products are replacement doors and windows, insulation, storm windows, caulking, weather-stripping, vents, and landscaping.
That part of the edge of a door or window jamb not covered by the casing.
Rollformed Screen Frame
A method of fabrication in which material (vinyl) is placed on a machine where the material is formed into shape using differently shaped rollers and pressure.
Roof Window
A fixed or operable window similar to a skylight placed in the sloping surface of a roof.
Rough Opening
The framed opening in a wall into which a window or door unit is to be installed.
Rough Sill
The horizontal rough framing member, usually a 2 x 4, which forms the bottom of the rough opening. It is toe-nailed into the jack studs and is supported by cripples.
Safety Glass
A strengthened or reinforced glass that is less subject to breakage or splintering.
Sand Blasting
Compressed air forces an abrasive material (resembling sand) through a nozzle onto the surface of the glass. This process removes the surface of the glass, which gives the sandblasted area a frosted look.
The part of the window which contains the glass.
Sash Alignment System
A hinge-type system used in hung windows. This system attaches the sash to the balance, creating perfect alignment between the sash and the frame, while allowing the sash to tilt inward for cleaning.
Sash Lift
A handle for raising the lower sash.
Sash Stop
A molding that covers the joint between window sash and the jamb.
Woven mesh of metal, plastic, or fiberglass stretched over a window opening to permit air to pass through, but not insects.
A compressible plastic material used to seal any opening or junction of two parts, such as between the glass and its sash, commonly made of silicone, butyl tape or polysulfide.
Shape Window
A window od a non standard shape such as triangle, round, oval curved etc.
Wood wedges (often wood shingles) used to secure the window or door unit in the rough or masonry opening in a square, level and plumb position during and after installation.
Side Jamb
The upright vertical member forming the sides of the frame of a window or door unit.
Side Lite
A tall, narrow, fixed or operating sash on either or both sides of a door to light an entryway or vestibule.
The horizontal, bottom section of window and door frame.
Sill Extender
An extrusion that is attached to the bottom of the window and door to cover the gap between the sill and the rough opening.
Simulated Divide Light (SDL)
A method of constructing windows in which muntins are affixed to the inside and outside of a panel of insulating glass to simulate the look of true divided light.
Single Hung
A window in which one sash slides vertically and the other sash is fixed.
Single-strength Glass
Glass with a thickness of approximately 3/32".
Slider Window Single Operation (SL)
A window in which the sash moves horizontally.
Slider Window Double Operation (DS)
A window in which the sash moves horizontally.
Sloped sill
The sill of the window that has a downward slope to the outside, to assist in excessive rainwater runoff.
Solar Heat Gain
The percentage of heat gained from both direct sunlight and absorbed heat. The smaller the number, the greater the ability to reduce solar heat gain.
Solar Radiation
The total radiant energy from the sun, including ultraviolet and infrared wave lengths as well as visible light.
Solar Screen
A sun shading device, such as screens, panels, louvers, or blinds, installed to intercept solar radiation.
A strip of material placed between two pieces of glass in order to maintain a uniform width between the two pieces and prevent sealant distortion.
Square Foot
A unit of measure for designating an area of one foot by one foot. Derived from width (in inches) x height (in inches) divided by 144 = area in square feet.
Stacked Windows
A vertical (combined) grouping of awning, casement or fixed windows to form a large, multiple unit.
Attack on the glass surface by water or other solutions.
The vertical edges of a door window or screen.
A trim member attached to the window frame to stop the sash of a projecting window when closed to prevent it from swinging through the opening. It also covers the perimeter crack between the sash and the window frame in double hung and sliding windows and prevents the sash from coming out of the frame. Stops used at the top or bottom of the balance channel prevent the sash in hung windows from hitting when opened.
Stucco Brick Mould
Standard exterior trim which has been modified by having a groove cut in the top rear edge permitting exterior stucco to flow behind the trim.
Stucco Fin
An extrusion used in stucco home installations that is attached to the main frame to create a smooth, finished look for both the window and the stucco.
Vertical wood framing members that form a frame wall. In normal construction these are eight foot-long 2" x 4"s.
Tape Glazing
Two-sided tape used to secure and seal the glass to the sash.
Tempered Glass
Glass with a surface compression of not less than 10,000 psi, or an edge compression of not less than 9,700 psi. Should the glass break, it falls out of the frame and is shattered into small pebble like harmless pieces without sharp edges, this is by design and is excellent proof of a well tempered product, not of a defective product.
Thermal Break
The addition of a thermal insulating material between two thermally conductive materials.
Thermal Expansion
A change in dimension of a material as a result of a temperature change.
Tilt Latch
A mechanism that unlocks the sash and allows it to tilt in for cleaning.
Tilt Window
The addition of a thermal insulating material between two thermally conductive materials.
Tilt-in/lift-out sash
A sash that can be tilted to the interior and removed for cleaning.
Tinted Glass
Glass with a material added to give the glass a light and/or heat reducing capability and color.
Total Unit U- and R-values
The heat loss by windows is expressed with U-values, or U-factors. U-values are the mathematical inverse of R-values. So an R-value of 2 equals a U-value of 1/2, or 0.5. Unlike R-values, lower U-value indicates higher insulating value.
A small window that fits over the top of a door or window, primarily for additional light and aesthetic value.
Transom Window (RPR)
A large fixed window semi-circular or an artistic variation of that shape mounted above a door or a group of windows primarily for additional light and aesthetic value.
An elastomeric material with three different degrees of hardness.
True Divided Lite
A term commonly used in case of windows and door used to describe arrangement of grills in a single sealed units giving the effect of divided lite (individual panes of glass in a single unit).
Amount of heat transferred through a material. The lower the U-value, the slower the rate of heat flow and the better the insulating quality.
UV Block
The percent of ultraviolet rays blocked from being transmitted through the glass. The higher the number the lower the percentage of ultraviolet rays transmitted through the window.
Ultra Violet
Type of radiation with wavelengths shorter than those of visible light and longer than those of X-rays. Causes sunburn, fading and breakdown of fabric, wood, furniture and other exposed surfaces.
The operating portion of a window that swings or projects in or out.
Venting Unit
A window or door unit that opens or operates.
Latch mechanism on the interior face of the sash which retains the window in a partially open position for ventilation.
Vinyl is a generic term for modified PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride).
Vinyl Window
A window whose frame and sashes are made from vinyl.
Visible Light Transmittance
The percentage of light that is transmitted through glass. The higher the number the higher the percentage of visible light transmitted through the window.
Vinyl Clad
A door or frame made of wood with an exterior skin of vinyl.
Warm Edge Spacer
Use of a non-conductive edge spacer in insulating glass units instead of the conventional aluminum (conductive) edge spacer. "Warm Edge" spacers may be made of butyl, silicone foam or other non-metallic materials and sealants.
Material used to form a weather-resistant seal around operable sash to prevent air and water infiltration.
Weep flaps
A weep hole that is covered with a vinyl flap that allows water to escape, while keeping insects out.
Weep Holes
Small openings in the window or door sill designed to allow water to escape.
Weep Slots
Slots or holes in the sill (bottom) member of the window and door frame that provides an outdoor release of infiltrated rainwater.
Wet Glazing
A silicone-based substance used to secure and seal the glass to the sash.
A glazed opening in an external wall of a building; an entire unit consisting of a frame sash and glazing, and any operable elements.
Window Frame
The fixed frame of a window which holds the sash as well as the operating hardware for the window.
Window Hardware
Various devices and mechanisms for the window including, cords, chains, fasteners and locks, hinges and pivots, lifts and pulls, pulleys, sash weights, sash balances etc.
Window Size
Size of the actual window frame always expressed as width first than height.
Window Style
The description of the way a window operates; example hung, sliders, casements etc.
Wood blocks
Pieces of plywood that come in different thicknesses depending on the depth of the hook of the frame. They are used to make the window flush with the opening it is filling. They are also used to assist in pre-mulling windows together and give the screw more to bite into when joining the windows.
Wood jamb strips
Strips of wood that run along the jamb used to shim up the window.
Copyright © 2003-2019 Window Man affiliated with NRGSEAL Inc. All rights reserved.